HOWE SOUND MILL PROFILE
Howe Sound Pulp and Paper is one of the finest, most efficient paper and kraft pulp producers in the world. We invite you to share in our past accomplishments and future success.
AIR QUALITY MONITORING
Howe Sound Pulp and Paper maintains an ambient air monitoring station 10 km south of the mill (close to the Langdale Ferry Terminal). This station measures the concentrations in the local atmosphere of nitrogen oxides (NOx), sulphur dioxide (SO2), particulate matter smaller than 2.5 microns in size (PM2.5) and total reduced sulphur (TRS – the odorous gases created in the Kraft process). This data is then sent by modem to the mill and to the Ministry of Environment.
- Follow the link below to access current air quality data at Langdale, from the Ministry of Environment website.
- Click on “All Station Data”.
- Zoom in to locate Langdale Elementary and select to get current readings.
- Click on Langdale Elementary to get current readings.
- Click on any of those readings to get a graph for the last 24 hours.
WESTCOAST CHIP PLANT
Located in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia, West Coast Cellufibre has been in operation since 1969 and the chip plant was built in 1985.
The plant’s log chipper will consume a 43” diameter log in a matter of seconds and is among the largest whole log chippers in North America. West Coast Chip Plant supplies Howe Sound Pulp and Paper with much of its overall chip needs and provides hog fuel to the power boiler.
- The chip plant was built in 1985 and boasts one of the largest whole log chippers in North America. The chipper disk is 153 inches in diameter and will consume a 43” diameter log in a matter of seconds.
- Westcoast Chip Plant operates on three shifts and employs about 35 staff and union personnel at the site. Under these conditions the chip plant can consume approximately 900,000m3 of pulp logs. The Fraser River serves as the transportation corridor as all logs delivered to the site arrive via water transportation. These chips are moved via barge to one of three paper excellence coastal pulp and paper facilities. West Coast Cellufibre also serves as a reload receiving chips and hog from local mills on truck to be transloaded onto barges.
- The hog fuel created from chipping is also barged to one of the three coastal mills to be consumed in the power boiler.
Below are links to the major regulatory permits relating to discharges to the environment at Howe Sound Mill.
|Air Permit PA-3095||12.42 kb|
|Effluent Permit-1149||1.16 mb|
|Landfill Permit-13845||1.37 mb|
|Howe Sound E2 Communication Notice||49.46 kb|
|ISO 9001:2015 (Expiry Sept. 13, 2024)||53.03 kb|
|ISO 14001:2015 (Expiry Sept. 13, 2024)||31.77 kb|
If you are a contractor coming onsite to work, please review and familiarize yourself with the programs and processes at Howe Sound.
|HSPP Contractor Safety Manual||86.12 kb|
|Appendix A – Lockout||1.48 mb|
|Appendix B – Hot Work Permit||3.65 mb|
|Appendix C – Contractor PPE||20.03 kb|
|Appendix D – Respiratory Protection||96.08 kb|
|Appendix E – Confined Space||70.47 kb|
|Contractor Glove Selection Guide||83.78 kb|
If you are a contractor coming on site, please review COVID-19 safety documents.
|HSPP COVID-19 Control Plan – Mill Shut 2021||94.62 kb|
|HSPP COVID-19 Operating Plan – Work less than 2meter/6feet||71.46 kb|
|HSPP COVID-19 Contract or Visitor Procedure||57.01 kb|
|HSPP COVID-19 Questionnaire||37.12 kb|
|HSPP COVID-19 Task Hazard Analysis||63.35 kb|
|HSPP COVID-19 Safe Work Plan||61.7 kb|